A former silk, cotton, and wool factory inaugurated in 1883 in the Santa Marta district, the Cotonificio Veneziano was one of the city’s most important industrial buildings. Restored by the Gino Valle architectural firm, it now hosts teaching activities for several degree programmes and the Wave international summer workshops in architectural design.
The building was inaugurated in 1883.
The year before, thanks to the initiative of Baron Eugenio Cantoni and Cavaliere Carlo Moschini, a company had been established with the goal of running a cotton mill in Venice.
Partially destroyed by a fire in 1916, it was subsequently rebuilt.
Around one thousand workers were employed at the factory, which remained active until 1960, after which it stood abandoned for thirty years before restoration began.
Restored by the Venetian firm of Gino Valle, the main building now hosts a significant part of the university: teaching rooms, the Project Archive, the “Gino Valle” exhibition space, and ArTec – the Archive of Techniques and Materials for Architecture and Industrial Design.
The archive section includes a study room with nine consultation stations, an office, and a storage area.
Dorsoduro 2196 – Venice
Front desk