A pre-industrial building originally constructed as a port warehouse, Magazzino 7 emerged from the activities of entrepreneur Anacleto Ligabue linked to the Port of Venice. It hosts teaching activities for various degree programmes and teaching laboratories.
The Ligabue Warehouses originated from the activity of Anacleto Ligabue, who settled in Venice trading in Reggiano cheese, a product of his native region.
In the early 1920s, with the arrival of the first steamships operating on regular routes, Ligabue developed the idea of supplying ships—primarily with food—on an industrial scale. He reinterpreted the service in a more complex manner, taking responsibility for providing meals even during navigation.
This marked the birth of “ship catering contracts” for the first time in the world.
This innovation required the Port of Venice to be equipped with storage and warehousing facilities for food supplies.
In 1929, ten years after the initiative began, the ship-catering system was fully operational.
The punto franco (free zone), as the Ligabue warehouse complex was called, consisted of several brick buildings in a “pre-industrial” architectural style, similar to other industrial or manufacturing structures of the time in the area.
The largest buildings in the complex, numbered 4, 5, 6, and 7, were restored by isP and are currently used for university teaching activities.
In particular, Magazzino 7 and 6 host courses of the Iuav University of Venice.
Dorsoduro 1827 – Venice
Front desk