non-EU applicants residing abroad

non-EU applicants residing abroad


Non-EU applicants residing abroad are required to apply:

> on the dedicated Iuav Student Web Service

> on the Universitaly portal by selecting “International students” and then “Pre-enrol now” (Universitaly applications for each academic year usually open in April/March)


It is essential to proceed with both applications as they have different purposes:

Iuav Student Web Service is a mandatory step to be admitted to Iuav study programmes;

Universitaly pre-enrolment is crucial to start your visa application. Once validated by UniversitÓ Iuav di Venezia, the application is forwarded to the Italian diplomatic-consular missions in charge.


Marco Polo applicants are required to follow the guidelines [ITA] established by the Ministry of University and Research.



visa and stay permit


To start their visa application, non-EU applicants can contact the Italian diplomatic-consular missions they specified in the Universitaly pre-enrolment-form.

After the pre-enrolment is validated by UniversitÓ Iuav di Venezia, the competent Italian diplomatic-consular mission can issue a visa for study purposes (Type D – immatricolazione/enrolment), which is valid for 365 days.


For bachelor’s degrees, in case the admission or language tests take place before obtaining their secondary school diploma, or in a time that does not allow their regular pre-enrolment to be completed, non-EU applicants shall request a short-term visa (Schengen Uniform Visa for stays of less than 90 days).

The Italian diplomatic-consular mission of reference can issue the visa for study purposes (Type D – immatricolazione/enrolment) only following the applicant’s admission to enrol in the chosen study programme.


The visa for study purposes (Type D – immatricolazione/enrolment) can only be issued for enrolment in bachelor’s or master's degree programmes and cannot be obtained by students enrolled in subsequent academic years.


The deadline for completing all visa procedures for the 2022/2023 academic year will be set in the upcoming guidelines of the Italian Ministry of University and Research.

We highly recommend, however, to finalize the procedure as soon as Universitaly applications open for 2022/2023, so that non-EU applicants can travel to Italy before the starting date of classes and have their enrolment documents physically delivered as soon as possible.


Within 8 days from their arrival in Italy, admitted non-EU applicants are required to apply for a stay permit for study (permesso di soggiorno per motivi di studio).

Applications can be submitted at a post office (ufficio postale) through the dedicated application packages.

One the applications is completed, applicants will receive:

- a receipt: it is a valid demonstration of the application for the residence permit until the final one is issued. It can be used to register at the local registry office and with the local health authority;

- an appointment to go to the local police headquarters (questura) to complete the application and take fingerprints.


Registry office

International students, who spend more than 90 days in Italy, are required to register at the registry office of the city where they are staying.



stay permit renewal


Within 60 days before the expiry of their residence permit, non-EU students must apply for a 1-year renewal with the application package kit found in post offices.


In order for a renewal to be granted, students must meet the same conditions which originally granted their residence permit’s issuing (financial conditions, ongoing enrolment etc.)


Entry visas and residence permits can be renewed only to students who have passed at least an exam in their first academic year, and at least two in the following years.