Cotonificio

 

Dorsoduro 2196

30123 Venezia

front desk tel +39 041 257 1801-1802

 

how to get to the Cotonificio >>

 

seat of

The AP projects archives, LAR research lab in architectural design, ArTec techniques and materials for architecture and industrial design, classrooms and studios for architecture.

 

history

The building was inaugurated in 1883 and in the following year it became a functioning cotton mill thanks to the initiatives of Baron Eugenio Cantoni and Knight Carlo Moschini. In 1916 it was destroyed by a fire and then subsequently rebuilt. Over one thousand workers were employed at the mill and it remained open until 1960. Abandoned there after for some thirty years, it was eventually restored by the Venetian architectural studio Gino Valle. The main building today hosts a considerable part of the University of Architecture, to include lecture halls, the department of architectural design, and the projects archives. The archives contain a study hall with nine new consultation stations, an exhibition hall, an office and a storage room. The exhibition hall houses a permanent model collection belonging to the archive, as well as temporary exhibitions from diverse sponsors.