Undergraduate and graduate programmes offered by the University iuav of Venice:

Place | Mazzorbetto fort

 

The Mazzorbo's island is located in the north of Murano, crossed the islands San Giacomo in Paludo and Madonna del Monte. The island is located westward to Burano and northward of Torcello North, the two touristic islands of  the Venice lagoon.

A navigable channel divided Mazzorbo into two islands, the Mazzorbetto Fort is located in a “island in the island”, in the Southeast tip of the Mazzorbetto Island (the minor of the two islands)  to south of the Isola dei Laghi, and is reachable only by boats of their own.

 

The island is home to the fort has 16.000 square meters of surface, the first island's evidence dates back to 900 AD, when a noble Paduan founded the convent of St. Eufemia, which later moved to some nuns from the Benedictine monastery of Sant Amgelo di Ammiana. By decree of the Senato della Repubblica ( the Serenissima's governament) in the September 12 1768, the monastery was suppressed and the island is used for military purposes; in 1805 the building was demolished to allow for the following year, the construction of the Austrian ridotto defense with cruciform plan; the beginning of the 900 was also reduced demolished and in its place was built the Mazzorbetto Fort, used until the Second World War and then abandoned. In 1981, the scouts of  A.G.E.S.C.I in the area of Venezia took, in granting the Municipal, the island to host their own summer camps.

 

The island is accessed via a channel to the south west,  and the Mazzorbetto Fort, 80 meters long, 10 meters wide and a height of 5.5 m, consists in its present: from a battery in line with six artillery positions placed above the cassamatta partially buried on the west side, and a landing place to the south; it consists of a thirteen rooms, six of which housed the ammunition, while seven were rooms for the military, all vaulted and barrel aligned along a corridor of service for the storage of ammunition brought to the pieces using mechanical lifting equipment.

The main facade of the fort is regular and symmetrical, composed of 11 segmental arches in the first order and second order, which has a gallery with 6 slots, is accessed via two staircases at the ends of the front.

The fort is surrounded by high embankments up to six meters, and those embankments are interrupted to insert two access gates on the south side of the island. The work on uneven ground had three circular rondella placed in the south, in the north, and in north-west,with a large diameter, detached from the wall to the canal and the lagoon, and were tasked to repair the military by the effect of gunfire noise, today we could see only the circular tracks around the perimeter of the embankments.

 

The island in recent years has shown his new vocation, the warmth and hospitality of groups such as scout groups, educational purposes related to nature activities, topographical observation and knowledge of the beautiful landscape of the lagoon.

 

Thanks to its privileged location within the lagoon system, and particularly in light of the height of its embankments, it is possible to make the island a vantage point for the fauna and flora typical of this delicate and unique ecosystem.

The island of Mazzorbetto can then become a new, strategic centre for the reception, through new accommodations refreshment and rest, and may become part of an innovative system of widespread hospitality that might come to involve more islands to inside the lagoon.